The programs of the Van Cortlandt Park are the core component of our mission to preserve, support, and promote the recreational, ecological, and historical value of Van Cortlandt Park. We offer an array of programs to introduce Van Cortlandt Park, and all it has to offer, to the community.
Community centered programs are at the core of Van Cortlandt Park Alliance’s mission to preserve, support, and promote the recreational, ecological, and historical value of the park.
From July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022, the Alliance served 6,073 people directly through programs, started renovations on the Educational Garden & Compost Site, and expanded programming throughout the park.
Some highlights of the year are:
- 1,267 volunteers got their hands dirty restoring the park’s forest, wetland, and trail areas or maintaining the garden;
- 1,238 students attended one or more Van Cortlandt Adventures educational programs —hiking, observing nature, and learning through hands on exploration;
- 38 young people worked in the park as paid interns including:
- 2 Spring Garden Interns built the first raised beds in the new garden space;
- 4 high school Garden 2 Market Interns spent their summer maintaining the garden, running a farm stand, and earning 3 college credits through Manhattan College;
- 18 high school Urban Eco Teens spent their summer exploring green careers while working on restoration projects throughout the park. 14 of these interns earned 3 college credits through Manhattan College.
- 1,069 neighbors shopped for fresh veggies and fruit at our seasonal Youth-Run Farm Stand;
- 2,475 children and adults of all ages participated in community programs, including Barefoot Dancing, Annual Juneteenth Celebration, and Nature Hikes.
- We are off to a great 2022/2023 season!
Join us as we plan new community events, cultural celebrations, and workshops that highlight the unique history and ecology of the park we all love so much!