- This event has passed.
May 6 @ 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm EDT
Van Cortlandt Park Alliance, Van Cortlandt House Museum and Kingsbridge Historical Society present a Pinkster Festival on the lawn of the Van Cortlandt House Museum.
- Live Music with Chief Baba Neil Clarke, Master Percussionist
- Story of Pinkster with the Pinkster Players
- African Games with Lavada Nahon, NY Cultural Historian & Interpreter
- Stories with April Armstrong, Master Storyteller
- Tours with Ashley Hart Adams, Teaching Artist & Actress
- Chat with Carla & Keyes, Interpreters
- Community Art Project with Tijay Mohammed, Artist
- PLUS: Food from Voilà Afrique and crafts from African Masidi & Co for sale!
What is Pinkster?
Once a major holiday in colonial New York, Pinkster is the Dutch name for the Christian event of Pentecost. For the enslaved and free people of African descent, Pinkster proved to be a unique New York historical holiday that incorporated African rituals and traditions.
RSVP encouraged but not required to attend.
This program is supported, in part, by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the New York City Council.