On Juneteenth, in gratitude for the sacrifice of the African Ancestors who built what is now Van Cortlandt Park, the African Burial Ground in the park will be consecrated.
- Proceedings hosted by cultural consultant Peggy King Jorde
- Libation Ceremony by Chief Baba Neil Clarke
- Live Music by Bronx Arts Ensemble
- Traditional Negro Spirituals by soloist Beverly Fleming-Camejo
- Remarks by Artist and Historian Kamau Ware, Black Gotham Experience
- Benediction by Rev. Dr. Hermon L. Darden, Senior Pastor, St. Stephen’s United Methodist Church
This program is presented respectfully by Van Cortlandt Park Alliance, Van Cortlandt House Museum, Kingsbridge Historical Society, and the Enslaved People Project Task Force Steering Committee with NYC Parks.
This program is supported, in part, by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in Partnership with the City Council.