The Friends of Van Cortlandt Park just wrapped up another successful year (our fiscal year runs from July 1st to June 30th). We would like to thank everyone who supported us in different ways. Whether you made a monetary donation, volunteered your time or participated in one of our programs you helped us achieve great success this year.
In FY14, the Friends of Van Cortlandt Park accomplished the following:
• Served the largest number of participants in our history with 6,136 children and adults participating in our programs;
• Worked with over 1,000 volunteers on garden, forest, and trail restoration projects;
• Reached 1,778 students through our Van Cortlandt Adventures educational programs;
• Hired 16 interns for a Summer Teen Trail Crew internship who built 3 footbridges, installed 30 check dams and completed several other trail restoration projects over seven week;
• Expanded our Youth Run Farm Stand internship program to two sites that provided fresh local grown produce to the local communities;
• Hired a full-time Trail Project Manager to oversee our trail restoration efforts;
• Expanded our Urban Garden & Compost site allowing us to double our vegetable beds to over 800 square feet to grow more produce to donate to those in need; and
• Joined with local Elected Officials and Community Boards to advocate for the NYC Department of Environmental Protection to keep its promise and fund a pedestrian bridge in the Park. Although, this is still an ongoing issue we held a rally that showed community support and received significant media coverage.